STUDENTS’ PERCEPTIONS ON THE TEACHER USING L1/L2 IN TEACHING EFL CLASS

Sumiati Sumiati, Amir Hamzah

Abstract


This study aimed to find out students’ perceptions on the teacher using L1/L2 in teaching EFL Class. It employed a qualitative research which used case study. The participants of this study were three students with categories advance, intermediate, and low. The data were collected by using in-dept interview. The items for the interview were developed from the previous research Elmetwally (2012) which were found appropriate to be used. The findings revealed that the use of Indonesian language in the EFL Class are generally positive. The three participants stated that they prefered when learning with the teachers used of L1/L2 in teaching EFL Classroom e.g explaining the material, explaining difficult vocabulary, translating and presentation. In addition, the students’ perceptions has a different percentage of used L1/L2 in EFL Class. The participants with Advance category stated that she was needed 50% Indonesian explanations when explaining materials, giving examples, explaining formulas and theories. Then, she was needed 50% the full English explanations when the teacher greeting and opening the lessons, checking attendance, giving assignments, correcting students mistakes, closing the lessons, giving homework, and announcing grades. Meanwhile, the intermediate students’ stated that she was needed a full English explanations as much as 45% and needed to be used when explaining the materials, and the rest 55% was needed on the Indonesian explanations to clarify the materials that was explained using English earlier. Furthermore, the low students’ stated that she was needed as much as 80% for Indonesia explanations for explaining the material more deeply so that students become more understand. And the rest 20% was needed for English explanations in opening and closing the teaching activity, and giving an assignment so that the students would get used to it. Moreover, it can be concluded that the use of L1/L2 as a facilitator in their learning, as a tool to help them get a better understanding when learning English.

Keywords


Perceptions of Students’, L1/L2 Use, EFL class

Full Text:

PDF

References


Almohaimeed, M., & Almurshed, H. (2018). Foreign Language Learners’ Attitudes and Perceptions of L1 Use in L2 Classroom.

Alnofaie, H. (2010). The Attitudes Of Teachers And Students Towards Using L1. 4 (1), 64-95.

Burno. (2014). The Use of the Mother Tongue in English. MASARYK UNIVERSITY.

Carson, E., & Kashihara, H. (2012). Using the L1 in the. Hiroshima City University.

Cohen, L., Manion, L., & Morrison, K. (2007). Research Method in Education.

Cook. (2001). The use of L1 in English Language Teaching.

Cook, & Vivian. (2001). Using the first language in the classroom.

Creswell, J. (2012). Educational Research . Planning, Conducting, Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research.

Debreli, E. (2016). Perceptions of Non-native EFL Teachers’ on L1 Use in L2 Classrooms:. English Language Teaching.

Ellis, R. (1987). The Study of Second Language Acquisition.

Elmetwally. (2012). Students’ and teachers’ attitudes toward the use of learners’ mother tongue in English language classrooms in UAE public high schools.

Kayaoglu, M. N. (2012). The Use of Mother Tongue in Foreign Language Teaching from. Pamukkale Universitesi Egitim Fakultesi Dergisi,.

Kitjaroonchai, T., & Lampadan, R. M. (2016). Perceptions of Students towards the Use of Thai in English Classrooms.

Kocaman, O., & Aslan, E. (2018). The students’ perceptions of the use of L1 in EFL classes: A Private Anatolian High School Sample. Journal of Language and Lingustic Studies, 4(4), 179-189. Laura, M. (2016). Students ́ opinions about the use of L1 in an. Master Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. University of St Mark and St John.

Lenneberg. (1967). Age and the critical period hypothesis. ELT Journal.

Lestari, L. A. (2013). Should English Be A Compulsory Subject in Primary Schools.

Manty, M., & Shah, P. M. (2017). Students’ Perception: Reasons And Opinions On The Use Of First. Journal of Education and Social Sciences.

Miles, R. (2004). Evaluating The Use Of L1 In The English Language Classroom.

Nation, P. (2001). The role of the first language in foreign language learning. Asian EFL Jurnal Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.

Pachler, N., & Field, K. (2001). Learning to Teach Modern Foreign Languges in Secondary School. A Companion to School Experience London and New York.

Phillipson, R. (2018). Linguistic Imperalism. The Encyclopedia of Applied Linguistics.

Rerung, M. (2018). Learners' Perception on Billingual Approach in an EAP Classroom. English Language and Culture Department, Bunda Mulia University.

Tang, J. (2002). Using L1 the English Classroom. English Teaching Forum.

Turnbull, B. (2018). The potential impact of cultural and educational background on foreign language teachers’ use of the L1. The Journal of Language Teaching and Learning, 8(1), 53-70.




DOI: https://doi.org/10.31980/eeal%20journal.v4i3.1890

DOI (PDF): https://doi.org/10.31980/eeal%20journal.v4i3.1890.g1230

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.


Copyright (c) 2022 EEAL Journal (English Education and Applied Linguistics Journal)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

 Creative Commons License   
e-issn 2622-1675 p-issn 2621-9131